Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Generosity

Generosity is the habit of giving without coercion and is widely understood to be a desirable trait, even Wikipedia says so. Everyone should at some point examine themselves and their lives to see how generous they are.

One kind of generosity has to do with material things and money. In this regard I am fairly generous, and I usually share what I little have with those around me. However, I have yet to participate in charities and take responsibility for the wider world, something I see as an essential part of becoming a grown-up.

Another kind of generosity deals with time. I am quite generous with my time, helping others whenever they ask and generally being supportive. This type of generosity develops the spirit of both the giver and the receiver more than simply giving things.

The third and final type of generosity concerns sharing yourself with others, letting them partake of your thoughts, emotions, insights, experiences and creativity. This is my Achilles heel, as I am very secretive and I typically do not share the most central parts of my life with others. I prefer to keep my acquaintances separated, to keep them from gaining a full understanding of who I am and what goes on in my head. This is what I need to work on.

No comments: